Friday, December 11, 2009

The Blogging Experience




















Prior to this class, I had never knowingly read a blog, let alone written my own. I had a vague concept of what blogging entailed, i.e. writing your opinion on current and hopefully relevant topics, but I never saw myself having my own blog. When we were told that we needed to set up a blog for this class, I thought that it would be a pain, and wondered why we didn't just use the discussion board on Blackboard Vista. Once I set up my blog, though, which was surprisingly easy, I saw why blogging is an environment that is far superior to online class discussion boards.

Blogging is a very personal experience. This starts with being able to customize the layout and color scheme of your blog, and continues with the free expression of opinions on topics that I choose, and there for care about. As a result of being able to choose the topics that I blogged about, I found myself writing passionately in my posts. With each post and media critique or analysis, I wanted to prove my point, or at least make an argument for something that I believed in. Once I began a post, the idea that it would be graded was pushed to the back of my mind. This casual blogging atmosphere allowed me to write what I was really feeling, without worrying solely about censorship or apprioprateness. I was concerned with grammar and well-roundedness only because the post would be published to MY blog, which although it was primarily viewed by my classmates, is available for all to see. In fact, I did actually receive a couple of comments from people outside of the class, which was an exciting experience, one that brought to reality the fact that my blog is actually accessible by everyone who has access to the Internet. This is the driving force behind blogging; the potential for anyone from anywhere to communicate their opinions, bring locally or personally important issues and non-mainstream/counter-hegemonic ideas to the forefront, and inevitably influence others.

One of my favorite things about blogging was inserting pictures and video clips into a post. Like most of the technical aspects of blogging, once I figured out how to do this once, it became a simple, comfortable process. The inclusion of videos and pictures not only liven up the appearance of a blog, but also allow the blogger to include the exact picture, commercial, movie clip, Youtube video, etc., that he/she is discussing, making their argument that much more relevant and relatable.

The result of all of this has been an enjoyable blogging experience. I plan on keeping my blog, and using it as an outlet to voice my opinion on issues that I feel passionately about. I like the idea of having my own, personal space amidst the vast world that is the Internet, and the fact that I can give friends and family my blog address, and they will be able to read and comment on my posts. There have been many times in the past when I have had a strong reaction to mainstream media, whether it be frustration, disgust, or jubilation, and now I have a place to channel and express these reactions.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, with the overall feel of the experience being positive. I feel like it has definitely taught me to be open about my opinions, and care less about what others may think of what i write. Next step is to be able to speak as openly as i can write.
    Also, isn't it just a great feeling when someone comments on your blog? its almost like when you first started on facebook and you get your first wall posts. it feels new and exciting, when you havent tried it before

    ReplyDelete